Women in Tourism Scholarship Program FAQs for Business Owner/Managers
1. What is the Women In Tourism Scholarship Program?
The Women In Tourism Scholarship Program is an initiative of the Sri Lanka Tourism Alliance funded by USAID CATALYZE aimed at creating a more inclusive tourism industry in Sri Lanka by creating more opportunities for females.
2. Who is offering the WIT Scholarship?
The scholarship program is a joint initiative of Sri Lanka Tourism Alliance and USAID CATALYZE.
3. How does it work?
Eligible SME tourism businesses can apply to be part of the program by creating new jobs or filling existing jobs for females in the following sectors (see Q4), with each business owner only having to pay 30% of the allocated salary up to LKR 50,000 per scholarship, and the Tourism Alliance funded scholarship contributing the remaining 70% for a period of 9 months.
4. In which areas will the jobs be created?
5. Which tourism businesses can apply to be part of the Scholarship program?
The Women in Tourism Scholarship Program is open to all tourism sectors including Accommodation Providers, Travel Agents, Tour Companies, DMCs, Experience Providers, Wellness Tourism Providers etc.
6. Can all tourism businesses apply to be part of the program?
All Sri Lankan SME tourism businesses can apply to be part of the program.
Please note: By definition SME Businesses are those with upto 700 employees and an annual turnover of up to LKR 750 million.
7. When can Businesses start applying to be part of the program?
All eligible businesses can apply from 28th February 2022.
8. How can businesses apply to be part of this initiative?
9. When is the deadline for applications?
Deadline for applications is 5pm 18th March 2022.
10. How long is the scholarship for?
The Scholarship will cover an employment period of 9 months commencing 1 April 2022.
11. What happens after the scholarship period ends?
Each business owner taking part in the program is free to decide if they wish to continue employing the scholarship recipients beyond the period of 9 months.
12. How does the Women in Tourism Scholarship Program benefit tourism business owners?
The scholarship will enable all Sri Lankan Small, Medium and Micro tourism businesses to acquire an additional resource into their business, at a highly subsidized salary for a period of 9 months.
13. Who can I contact if I have more questions?
If you have questions, please contact the Tourism Alliance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org